What makes a relationship, a relationship? How to have a relationship with God.

       This morning as I was struggling to spend time with the Lord, I found myself asking God, "Father, how do I spend time with you when you are not phyiscally here with me (even though I know in my head He is always with me because of the Holy Spirit that dwells within)... It's so much easier to hang out with people that I can look at, and get an immediate audible response from." I just pondered this for awhile... thinking upon the Lord. 
      I began thinking about what I do to have relationships with other people in my life. Well, first off, I find out what that person likes, and begin to start conversations with them on the basis of their personality. To build a relationship, I must be trustworthy, honest, open, and sacrificial. To build a relationship, I must give them the gift of my time.
      Ah-Ha. I need to do this same thing with my Heavenly Father. I mean, Jesus said seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness and everything else will be given to us. (Matthew 6:33) So my relationship with the Lord should be stronger than any other relationship I have. But the question is, do I put forth as much effort to know, bless, and spend time my Heavenly Father as I do my Husband, friends or family? I'm convicted to say that I don't.
      Even though I can't see God with my eyes, I feel His presence in my heart... especially when I do things that please Him. It is different than a relationship with a physical human because God's physical body is not made manifest infront of me. But His Spirit inside of me is always communicating with me, even though I don't know it. How in the world do I constantly desire to be close to the Lord? It's God inside me drawing me, doing His part in the relationship. The problem is, I must respond to Him- to His promptings inside. I must also find what blesses Him, and do the things that make Him smile, even though I can't see His smile, I can imagine it. I must study what pleases my Heavenly Father, just like I would do for a friend or family member.

      Things my Heavenly Father Likes: I found a few things in the Bible that builds my relationship with my Heavenly Father.
( I know there are many more things, but these stuck out to me the most this morning. ) 
1. WORSHIPING HIM IN HIS HOLINESS
             Worship is huge in the Bible.  This is something that is happening 24/7 in Heaven. Angels are around His throne worshiping Him 24/7 singing Holy, Holy,  Holy ( ...and day and night they never cease to say,“Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord God Almighty, who was and is and is to come!”(Revelation 4:8 ESV)) A way I can bless my Heavenly Father is by worshiping Him in the music I listen to when I have free time, in my thoughts (what I'm thinking about), by the way I communicate with people and the way I live my life. (Romans 12:1) When we worship God in His holiness, we deem all other things unworthy- Only God is worthy of our worship. This means we must lay all things we place before God at His feet, surrender to His glory and majesty. When we think about His Holiness, we are astounded by our sinfulness; therefore, repentence is part of worshiping God in His Holiness.This is a daily part of my life because I fall short all the time. I am so thankful that because of Jesus..."If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."(1 John 1:9 ESV) Worship and taking responsibilty for our sin (by repenting and turning away) pleases God.
2. READING HIS WORD
In John chapter 1 it says "The Word became flesh..." talking about Jesus. Jesus was the Word of God made manifest to us- to show us God's character and radiance. The Word of God (The Bible) is breathed by God. There is nothing in there that is by chance, it's all by God's preservation and command that the Bible is the same today as it was thousands of years ago. When we spend time reading God's Word, we're actually communing with God. We are learning more about Him (what pleases Him :o)). The Word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edge sword. "For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart."- Hebrews 4:12. This means that the Word of God actually brings our souls to life, it changes us and molds us. It feeds our relationship with God if that makes sense.
3. LOVING IN HUMILITY
God is the essense of love. Not the world's lustful love, but a humble, meek kind of love.
"Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love." 1 John 4:8- It makes God happy when we love like He loves- 1 Corinthians 13 is the guideline of the type of love that blesses God."Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
 Love never ends. "(1 Corinthians 13:4-8 ESV)
4. THINKING UPON THE THINGS OF HEAVEN
When we set our minds on the things of God, it pleases God. It makes Him happy too. When we think about Jesus and what He suffered through for us- how His blood cleansed us and made us right before God, we are blessed, and we bless God because we are so grateful for His gift to us. "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things."- Philippians 4:8
5. REJOICING AND GIVING THANKS ALWAYS
The Bible is FULL of commands to not fear, worry, or be anxious. God tells us this so we will obey and trust in Him alone. When we are fearful, worrying or anxious, this means we are leaning upon something other than God. Anything we lean on other than Him will break and fail us. We must lean upon Him. The only cure for not being fearful, worrisome, or anxious is giving thanks- worshiping God through praise. This is through tough times, good times, horrible times, blissful times, scary times, anytime... you name it! This makes our Lord happy when we trust in Him.  
give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
(1 Thessalonians 5:18 ESV)
 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
(Philippians 4:4-7 ESV)

The most important thing about having a relationship with God is abiding in Him. You abide in Christ by obeying His word and keeping as close to Him as you possibly can. You know how we fear to hurt other peoples feelings? We must have that reverence for God and for God alone. God is grieved when we disobey Him. Can you believe we have the ability to grieve the Holy Spirit inside of us? Well, we do. I pray that we will care more about grieving the Holy Spirit than we do people.. Will you journey with me in this pursuit to be closer to God than anyone else in the entire world? He knows us better than anyone else, and formed us in the womb. Even though we can't seem Him, He is with us. He alone deserves our effort and blessing! :o)


Important P.S. : If you have not received Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, and believed that He bled and died for your sins to make you right before a Holy God, this (receiving Jesus and believing in your heart) is the first step to having a relationship with God. You cannot have a relationship with God without out it. 

Comments

  1. I love this sweetheart. :o) I loved the humility and genuine love for God and others that's evident in your writing. Thank you for sharing your heart and all that God is teaching you through His word. ♥

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD

Trusting God = Putting all your hope in His steadfast love

It's Been One Year Since Licensing...