The Surpassing Worth...

Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For His sake I have have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ.
Philippians 3:8
T.h.e. S.u.r.p.a.s.s.i.n.g. W.o.r.t.h. O.f. K.n.o.w.i.n.g C.h.r.i.s.t

Surpass: 
to go beyond in amount, extent, or degree; be greater than; exceed.
 
Worth:
1. excellence of character or quality as commanding esteem
2. usefulness or importance, as to the world, to a person, or for a purpose:
3. a quantity of something of a specified value
(Dictionary.com)
 
I.N. O.R.D.E.R  T.H.A.T. I. M.A.Y. G.A.I.N C.H.R.I.S.T
 
Gain:
1. improve; make progress; advance:
2. to get nearer, as in pursuit
.
Could Paul be urging us to count all as rubbish that we may experience Christ in the fullest, most intimate way possible? I think so... I think losing all things (that we find our hope and security in other than Christ) and counting them as rubbish (not as worthy compared to Christ) is the key to seeing Christ as Paul did, a priceless treasure that nothing could compare to. It feels impossible....but I know God's Word is true, and what was true for the former saints is available to us... if we will only take up the call.
 
Help me Lord, Help all who desire to know You in this way, to not be so blinded by the fleeting pleasures of this world, for all is rubbish in comparison to you!! All is rubbish in comparison to You!! You make us see with new eyes, and the closer we are to you, the more we love each other, and the brighter Your light shines through us to a hurting and dieing world! How could we want anything else? You are the way, the truth, and the life... You give us abundant life! Be exalted Oh Lord, be exalted! In Jesus name, Amen.

Comments

  1. My precious Linny Lou. We are covering this chapter in our study of Philippians in our
    home group right now and everything you say
    is truth. Paul did appear to feel exactly
    as you stated. Our worldly things do get
    "in the way" as you say. What wisdom comes
    out of your young mind. I wonder how my life
    would have been different if I had studied
    these versus at 25 instead of 55. Stay true.
    Christ is leading you to a glorious future.
    As John Piper says in his book "Do not waste
    your life", "only those things done for Christ
    will last". You Daddy-0 is so proud of you....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD

We've got AMAZING news!

The Journey is the Reward