Thought of the day: Checklists

"We are all naturally self-righteous. It is the family disease of all the children of Adam."

 ~ J.C. Ryle


Doesn't it feel so good to THINK our life's "in order"? When we've got everything on our checklists checked off, everything around the house is clean, our relationships on the outside looks perfect... And we're even making sure to get up to spend some "time with the Lord". Everything seems right... and feels good...

 There is a way that seems right to a man,
  but its end is the way to death.
(Proverbs 14:12 ESV)

Self-righteousness, which is the THOUGHT that our life is together, is deathly. We need Jesus Every moment of Every day. We are never "ok" without Him!

What I'm learning is that my "time with the Lord" in the morning isn't enough for me. Although I feel a great deal of self-righteousness (which is sin) knowing that I've checked off the box and spent time with the Lord, the rest of my day does not look like the precense of Jesus! WHY? Because I've have compartmentalized my walk with Christ. I've believed the lie that if I spend time with Him in the morning, then I can handle whatever happens the rest of the day. Did I mention that's a big huge filthy lie? It seems that I don't depend on Him the rest of the day, but depend upon my flesh. Mornings with the Lord are not meant to be something that's checked-off the list, but the beginning of an ABIDING communion with the Lord ALL day long.

Although checklists are wonderful and keep our brains organized, if we find our strength and sense of security in our checklist we are in trouble because we've placed our hope on the check-list instead of God. God doesn't need them to accomplish his work. He also doesn't just want our "morning surrender", He wants our "ALL-DAY, 24/7 Surrender"...

John 15:4

Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me.


It's not our checklists that are going to bear fruit in our lives, It's abiding in Jesus... & we abide in Jesus by obeying His Words and commands! We will abide by walking with Him through every moment... by hiding His word in our hearts that we may not sin against Him!

...I don't know about ya'll, but I want to bear fruit.... not self-righteousness.

Food for thought today.
Be Blessed.
Lindsey

Comments

  1. agreed! Well said, Linny. Love you

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD

The Journey is the Reward

When your holidays aren't as magical as you'd hope...