Meet my friend, Landen!

Most of you know that I've been weekly nannying a 13 year old boy named Landen Wilson. He is a sweet and fun blessing in my life from the Lord. He was born with a disability called fragile X. learn more about the disability here.

I began nannying Landen at the end of the spring semester. At first I was nervous because I had never taken care of a "special needs" child, but I felt as if the Lord was preparing my heart because the first time I took care of him I began falling in love with him!

Landen is 13 but has the brain capacity of a 6 year old. He repeats himself a lot and gets really anxious about certain things. When he is told no or is surprised by a situation that he isn't aware of, he has the tendency to  get very upset which is typical of a Fragile X child. I got the privilege to take care of Landen for 2 whole weeks throughout the summer while his parents were out enjoying themselves on vacation. I was so happy to be able to have been there so his sweet parents could take a well needed break!

In the span of those two weeks, I saw ups and downs of Landen's disability. The downs were really scary, but Kalen was there to encourage me to not be fearful, because of course, fear is not from the Lord but from the enemy! I saw God move in MIRACULOUS ways as I struggled with how to deal with Landen's outbursts. The awesome thing is that I learned in a stronger way how to depend on God for what seemed to be the impossible.  God was and is continually so kind to give me wisdom beyond my understanding for every situation!

The ups are what keep me falling more in love with Landen each day. When he is happy, he is the most fun kid to be around! He is so affectionate and will overwhelm me with joy in small ways. He likes to give hugs and kisses on the cheek..... and when I'm leaving, he will bring me my bags, open the door for me and say "Thanks for stopping by!" He will walk me out to my car and open the door for me! He even calls me his "Best friend" and tells me 'Happy Birthday" everyday!!! He is the sweetest 13 year old boy I know.

I am grateful for this boy. I am thankful to Jesus for allowing me the privilege to serve the Wilson family and be apart of this sweet boys life. 

Here are some pictures of us at Chick-fil-A!
Such a sweetie!!!!!!!!!

 Landen's beautiful mom, Jessica Wilson, Landen and me!
It's hard to keep him still to look at the camera so I'm extremely happy!



The reality is, all children have "special needs" because God has made everybody different. We have different needs and struggles, and we're all sinners in need of a Savior. So, what's so "different" about Landen? He is created in the image of God, with a disability that I don't have, but yet he is still able to love and communicate in ways that most people can't! I call Landen a blessing..... for he has encouraged me to depend on God in ways I wouldn't have thought and helped me to be thankful for small things & victories! Boy do I love this boy!


Thankful,
Lindsey

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD

The Journey is the Reward

Little M is back!