To Know and Fear the Lord...

I get in ruts. Ruts of self-willed action. Ruts of trying to find hope and strength in anything else but Jesus. I see what Paul talks about in Romans; I have the desire to do what's right and please the Lord, while sin is lurking right behind. There's been a lot on my mind lately, especially as I ponder a quote my pastor told our congregation last Sunday. Here it is:

"You will never be as close to God or as spiritual as you wish to be...
You will never be as close to God or as spiritual as you desire to be...
You will ONLY be as close to God and as spiritual as YOU CHOOSE to be." 

After a long week of waking up late and neglecting my time with the Lord in the morning, I felt the strong need and desire to get back in the Word and spend time with God today. I decided to CHOOSE my Heavenly Father, my great Savior....my dear Lord. Choosing Him never fails me. Choosing Him is choosing my highest good,  my greatest joy, the richest, most fulfilling life. Jesus is Joy. Jesus is life.

The Choice is ours though. 

God's Spirit (by His amazing Grace) prompts and draws us....

We choose our reaction... 

Just desiring to be closer to God isn't going to get us closer. 

                                                                                               We must choose.



 
Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you.....Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. Be wretched and mourn and weep. Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will exalt you. (James 4:8-10)

My prayer is that I would be a person that Knows and Fears 
   the Lord of Heaven's Armies. 

For that is the WHOLE purpose of our life, as said in Ecclesiastes...

The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. For God will bring every deed into judgment, with every secret thing, whether good or evil 
(Ecclesiastes 12:13-14)


All of this to say, The more we know God and the more we fear Him, the more we will choose Him!
... and we will only know Him better and Fear Him properly by spending time with Him and His Word, praying without ceasing, and choosing Him over our fleshly pursuits. Who's with me? Lord, thank You for the gift of YOU. Thank you that you are everything our hearts desire. Make us more like you, Open our eyes to Your glory and Goodness, we love you Lord. What can we bring? We are nothing apart from you!  We need you Lord, In Jesus Christ's Holy name we pray, Amen.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD

Trusting God = Putting all your hope in His steadfast love

The Journey is the Reward